In the financial services industry, workers are analysts, stockbrokers, and sales agents, usually called financial advisers or financial planners. Professionals in this industry work with people to reach their ﬁnancial goals. They also often develop and maintain a client base, assist private clients in managing wealth, or consult with organizations to help analyze and solve their ﬁscal problems.
- Vault Career Guide to Investment Banking
- Vault Career Guide to Commercial Banking
- Vault Guide to Hedge Fund Jobs
- Vault Guide to Banking and Financial Services Jobs
Sample Employers in LionSHARE
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Barclays Capital
- Capital One
- Fred Alger Management
- Goldman Sachs
- JPMorgan Chase
- Lloyds Bank
- Morgan Stanley
Focus Areas in Financial Services
Here is a sample list of applied areas in this industry:
Investment Banking is the business of raising capital for individuals, corporations, and governments by underwriting or acting as the client’s agent in the issuance of securities. Investment bankers also advise clients on financing and merger alternatives. When working with clients, an investment banker offers his or her expert advice on pricing securities, files registration documents with government agencies, and communicates periodically with investors.
Commercial Banking and Credit
Commercial banks make loans to the full spectrum of borrowers, from private individuals to major corporations, as well as to municipal, regional, and national agencies. This segment of the industry offers a wide variety of career opportunities, including positions in management, sales, customer service, and technical support.
Wealth management is a high-level professional service that combines financial and investment advice, accounting and tax services, retirement planning, and legal or estate planning. Wealth management professionals may work with stocks, bonds, mutual funds, investment accounts, private equity, or hedge funds.
Columbia University Resources
- Read a recap of the New Recruitment Timelines in the Financial Services Industry on our In the Know page.
- Find opportunities in this field by participating in the On-Campus Recruiting program in both Fall and Spring semesters.
- Visit our calendar of events for upcoming employer events, and LionSHARE to search for scheduled on-campus interviews.
- Join a finance-related student group on campus: Columbia Financial Investment Group, Columbia Women’s Business Society, Columbia Economics Society, Multicultural Business Association, or Columbia Smart Woman Securities. For a full list, see Lionlink.
- Check out the Employers We Work With page, which provides a curated sample of featured employers that engage with us to recruit at Columbia.
- Read highlights from Insider Info on companies like Goldman Sachs, Jane Street, Citi, and other organizations in the finance space.
- See how you can get ready for a second-round interview in Tips on Super Day Interviews.
Job and Internship Search Resources