Consultants work with clients to provide support around a range of strategic and/or operational issues. The tasks performed range from conducting detailed industry analyses, to benchmarking comparable organizations, to devising key strategic initiatives. Consulting ﬁrms can have a speciﬁc industry focus or serve a variety of industries. While rewarding, consulting is also a competitive and demanding ﬁeld. Most consultants travel a lot and often work long hours. It is important to consider the costs and beneﬁts of a demanding profession before diving into consulting.
Check out the latest Firsthand guide on this industry here.
Sample employers in lionshare
Focus Areas in Consulting
Here are some possible job paths you could consider in Consulting:
Provide expertise and advice to businesses, government agencies, and other organizations on a wide range of energy issues.
Provide advice to companies and other organizations on a wide range of environmental issues such as sustainability, green manufacturing, and compliance.
Provide expertise and advice on a wide range of financial issues such as capital budgeting, profit-and-loss reporting, risk management and insurance engagements, and global finance operations.
Provide expertise and advice on a wide range of health care issues such as practice management, information technology, and regulatory compliance.
Provide advice on staffing, recruiting, training, compensation and benefits programs, diversity initiatives, and other human resources issues.
Help clients design and implement IT systems or develop better IT practices; provide strategic advice on social media and IT issues; train staff members working in IT areas.
Analyze business or operating procedures to devise the most efficient methods of accomplishing work; provide clients with advice on business operations, strategy, and other topics.
Help politicians promote themselves and their issues among voters.
Columbia University Resources
- Check out what we have learned about this industry in our blog like An Insider’s Guide to Landing a Job in Consulting.
- Connect with students interested in consulting by joining the Undergraduate Consulting Club.
- Read some highlights from Insider Info on companies like Boston Strategic Partners, Ekimetrics, and other organizations in consulting.
- Pick-up some interview tips through our Preparing for a Case Interview Resource.
- Find opportunities in this field by participating in our Boutique Consulting Showcase, held in the the fall semester.
- Learn helpful industry tips from our Alumni Profiles featuring alumni currently working in the consulting field.
- Hear about pathways into and experiences in consulting from GS alumni working in the field.
- Listen to podcasts like Out of Bandwidth and Strategy Simplified for additional consulting insights, case interview strategies, and advice from industry leaders.