Psychology, Counseling, and Social Work are often referred to as helping professions. These disciplines are grounded in empathy, care, and transformation.

You can pursue these professions in clinical, industry, education, or community service settings. You may work with individuals, groups, families or organizations to: 

  • advocate for clients
  • connect people with social services   
  • promote wellness
  • treat substance abuse
  • address family violence 
  • manage individual cases
  • educate patients  
  • develop treatment plans   
  • provide support for emotional distress

Entry level work can include anything from securing public assistance for a homeless person to helping a child in need of foster care. For some roles, graduate school, specialized credentials or clinical training is necessary.  A license or certification may be required to work in particular settings, such as schools and private practice.  Check with the state’s Department of Education for credentialing information or a list of licensed professions.

Psychology, Counseling and Social Work Job Search

The hiring process varies by organization and field. On the mental health side, hiring occurs as-needed, with agencies filling one or two openings at a time. In education, K-12  typically hires from May through September, when schools know their openings for the upcoming year.  Colleges and universities tend to hire as needed, with no clear recruitment cycle. 

Center for Career Education Resources

Columbia Resources

External Resources

Professional Associations

Job Boards

Additional Resources