A thank you note is polite and professional. It brings you to mind again. People who have helped you will be inclined to do so again if you are grateful and courteous.
What is the Purpose of a Thank You Note?
Send thank you notes to:
- Thank employers or networking contacts for their time
- Reaﬃrm your interest in a company, employer, or industry
- Illustrate that you are courteous and professional
- Jog the interviewer’s memory to remind him/her of your conversation in order to stand out from the crowd.
When are Thank You Notes Appropriate?
Thank you notes are appropriate after:
- Any type of job interview
- Informational Interviews
- Someone has helped you with any aspect of your job search process.
How Do You Write a Thank You Note?
Thank you notes are:
- Clear and concise
- Express gratitude for the opportunity to interview or for job search assistance.
- Grant you the opportunity to clarify an answer or add something important that did not come up in the interview.
How Should a Thank You Note be Sent?
Thank you notes are sent:
- By email within 24 hours of your meeting or contact
- By postal mail if you would like a more personal touch after you send the thank you email.