How to Get a Job On-Campus Webinar
There are two types of on campus jobs: federal work-study jobs and casual jobs.
Federal Work-Study jobs are only available to U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents who have a financial aid work-study allocation. If you are unsure about your eligibility for work-study, contact the Financial Aid Office for your school. Find and apply for Federal Work-Study positions on The Federal Work-Study (FWS) website.
Casual On-Campus jobs are open to any Columbia student, regardless of financial aid package or citizenship.
On-Campus Offices That Hire
Several offices which may hire students are listed below:
- Columbia College Information Technology (CCIT) (work-study and casual) - Email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CC/SEAS Tutoring Service (work-study and casual) — Apply online.
- GS Academic Resource Center - (work-study and casual) - Apply online.
- Columbia University Department of Public Safety (work-study and casual) - Email resume and cover letter to email@example.com
- Columbia University Libraries (work-study and casual) — Apply online.
- Columbia University Visitors Center (work-study) — The Visitors Center hires students through the work-study program. Apply online
- Dodge Fitness Center (work-study and casual) — Apply online
- University Events Management (work-study and casual) - UEM hires students to work events and provide administrative or A/V support. Apply online
There is no centralized resource for finding on-campus employment. Contact these and other on-campus offices for job opportunities. Sign up for department emails, check bulletin boards, read websites, ask around, or try walking in.
Finding Casual On-Campus Jobs on LionSHARE
A few campus employers may occasionally post jobs on LionSHARE. In addition to checking directly with campus offices, such as those listed above, you may search the Center for Career Education LionSHARE Database for Casual On-Campus jobs. In the “job type” filter, choose “On-Campus Student Employment” (you may need to select “View All” in the filter menu to select this option). You may also search for off-campus “part-time” or paid Internship positions through LionSHARE. Please note that all On-Campus Student Employment positions should be posted by a Columbia University or affiliated office. If you find a job posted by a non-Columbia affiliate using this job type search, please notify CCE.
After formally applying for opportunities, follow up with the employer to confirm the receipt of your application and reiterate your interest. If you don’t see advertised positions at the office where you want to work, introduce yourself and express interest in future openings.
If you want help with application materials, stop by the Center for Career Education walk-in hours (Mon.-Fri. 2pm-4pm) or schedule a meeting with a career counselor.