The Virtual Internship Program (VIP) provides you with an innovative internship experience from wherever you are based with employers in a variety of career ﬁelds.
Through VIP, you will develop an enhanced professional skill set, interact with co-workers, clients and supervisors remotely and contribute to projects while working in the comfort of your own space. In the past, students in VIP have held internships in the following industries or job functions:
VIP is a combination of a virtual internship experience, CCE’s professional career development programming and added support from a career counselor.
Program features include:
- Virtual professional skills workshops, and resources for best practices in making the most of your internship
- Internship to build your portfolio and develop professional skills
- One-on-one career counseling appointments throughout the internship to support and enhance the experience
- End-of-program reﬂection project and session where you reﬂect on internship experience to help you evaluate what opportunities you would like to target next and carry your momentum forward
- Select not-for-profit positions withing VIP will receive a stipend award for expenses related to supporting this virtual opportunity. The amount of the stipend award will be listed in the job description in LionSHARE.
- Develop time-management, organization, and communication skills through virtual work experience
- Foster an understanding of virtual work trends across industries
- Establish professional skills and industry knowledge related to your individual internship
- Gain familiarity with a virtual work structure, including tools and techniques to manage responsibilities and share information
- Be able to articulate your experience and reflect upon your internship experience appropriately to highlight key transferable skills
- You must be a full-time currently enrolled student in both the fall and spring semesters in Columbia College, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, School of General Studies
- You must be able to commit work hours to the internship opportunity and participate in CCE’s Professional Development trainings.
- International students need to apply for Pre-Completion OPT (Optional Practical Training) or F-1 CPT (Curricular Practical Training) as these are off-campus internship experiences. Visit the Columbia International Students & Scholars Office employment section to learn more.
Application Process & Timeline
Looking for a virtual internship?
VIP internships will be posted in LionSHARE on a rolling basis as they become available. While some VIP opportunities can be viewed on the CCE Internship Programs Positions webpage, the most updated rolling list can be viewed by applying the “VIP” Label in LionSHARE. (ProTip: Filter your LionShare internship search under the Jobs Tab by using the Label function “VIP”)
To be considered for a VIP position, submit the documents selected by the process in LionSHARE. Some opportunities may direct you to apply externally on the organization’s website.
Have a virtual internship already?
Already have a spring or summer internship, but want to participate in the professional development and community?
Opt-in using this form. We will be in touch to add you to the VIP Community!
- Students Submit applications via LionSHARE
- Employers will select candidates to interview either in person, phone or video
- Oﬀers are made to candidates directly by Employers
- CCE hosts Professional Development trainings for all interns
- Virtual Internship Experience
- CCE Mid-Point check-in meeting with VIP student Intern
- CCE reviews Reflection project and hosts Reﬂection Session for all interns