Manufacturing companies convert raw materials into finished goods. These goods can then be sold through wholesale/retail markets or exported. Careers in manufacturing can range from research and development, analysis, planning, surveying, and more. These roles are connected to other industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, textiles, automotive, and aerospace.
Use this Firsthand guide to access exclusive information about this industry.
SAMPLE EMPLOYERS IN LIONSHARE
Focus Areas in Manufacturing
Here is a sample list of applied areas in this industry:
Roles include those who work in the parts production and assembly plants of automobile manufacturers. There can be working on the smallest part to the completed automobiles. Automotive industry workers read specifications, design parts, build, maintain, and operate machinery and tools used to produce parts, and assemble automobiles.
Industrial designers combine technical knowledge of materials, machines, and production with artistic talent to improve the appearance and function of machine-made products.
Robotics engineers design, develop, build, and program robots and robotic devices, including peripheral equipment and computer software, used to control robots. Robotics technicians assist robotics engineers in a wide variety of tasks relating to the design, development, production, testing, operation, repair, and maintenance of robots and robotic devices.
Columbia University Resources
- Read some highlights from Insider Info on companies like Air Liquide, Carnegie Robotics, General Dynamics Mission Systems and other organizations in engineering
- Think about connecting with the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, or Knickerbocker Motorsports at Columbia
- See all that you can do in with our Major in Mechanical Engineering tip sheet
- Connect with theMechanical Engineering department which provides programs in biomechanics, control and robotics, manufacturing and more
- Learn about research opportunities for mechanical engineering students