Site Visit Program
Broaden your horizons with visits to a wide variety of employers. CCE’s Site Visit Program provides a fun and interactive way to learn about careers with insider views into the work and culture of different organizations and industries. Join CCE and a group of approximately 20 other students on a tour of an employer site, meet with professionals from a variety of departments and learn what they do from day to day. All site visits also have a networking component through which you meet with HR personnel, staff members, and/or alumni working at the organization. Each semester, CCE targets several industries, which allows you to explore a diversity of opportunities.
Sample Past Site Visits:
Learn more about our scheduled site visit programs on our Events Calendar. For additional questions, please contact us at 212-854-5609.
Who is eligible to participate in the site visit program?
The site visit program is open to all undergraduate and graduate students from:
- Columbia College
- The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science
- School of General Studies
- Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- School of the Arts
How can I sign up for an upcoming site visit?
Sign up via our Events Calendar.
What should I expect from a site visit?
You can expect to learn more about the organization, recruitment process and any internship, volunteer and full time opportunities. Also, you will experience the company culture and network with HR personnel, staff members, and/or alumni working at the organization.
What is the dress code for visit?
Unless indicated by the particular visit, we encourage you to dress in business formal. Check out the CCE Tipsheet on Professional Image for more information.
How can I make the most of a site visit?
- Prepare ahead of time: Spend some time learning about the organization through its website, read its career pages, and check for postings on LionSHARE. Also search for any recent news about the organization and know about its products and services. Prepare a list of questions and bring a pen and paper to take notes, which will help with any follow up.
- Arrive Early: Arrive 15 minutes early so that you have time to collect yourself and avoid rushing in at the last minute. Review directions to your site visit and allow extra driving time to anticipate rush-hour traffic. Timeliness is both a reflection of you and Columbia University.
- Act Professionally: Although a site visit is not an interview, your contribution on the day can lead to an ongoing relationship with the organization. Also, as a representative of Columbia University, you make a positive impression by showing an interest in the day’s activities and asking well-researched questions.
- Check Your Email: You will be receiving occasional email notices about the site visit, so be sure to check your email regularly.
What is the site visit cancellation policy?
We ask for 72 HOURS ADVANCED NOTICE if you need to cancel. Names of students on the RSVP list are provided to employers in advance for security and capacity reasons. If you do not show up to the site visit you will be contacted to come in and speak with a member of CCE to explain your absence. As an ambassador of Columbia University, you negatively impact not only your own reputation but also Columbia’s relationship with an employer. You also take the space of a student on the wait list. We appreciate your support in the success of site visits by adhering to our policy.
Employers and Alumni:
The site visit program allows companies to highlight and market their organization to Columbia University students. During the visit, employers/alumni typically describe their organizations, discuss various career opportunities and their recruiting processes, offer tours and allow exchanges of information between participants and company employees.
If you are interested in hosting a site visit for Columbia Students, please contact the Center for Career Education at email@example.com or 212-854-9167.