Media and Communications
Media and communications are broad terms that encompass a variety of professions, all of which involve the sharing or generating of information in some way. Professionals in these fields must be creative, have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, and thrive in fast-paced environments. They work to build relationships that help drive their companies goals forward, write and create content, develop and communicate messages about their companies or clients, and research and report on issues. Use the following index to learn about various professions in the media and communications fields.
- LionSHARE: Media and communications firms that have recruited Columbia candidates through LionSHARE include Ogilvy, Digital, Publicis, Universal McCann, Alison Brod Public Relations, Elle C Communications, George Public Relations, The New York Times, Univision, CNBC, New York Observer, and Penguin Publishing.
- Career Fairs: The Fall Career Fair, held in September, and the Spring Career Fair, held in March, include 100+ organizations each from many industries including media, marketing, advertising, consumer packaged goods and more are open to undergraduate and graduate students and alumni. Media firms that have recently recruited through Columbia fairs are Huffington Post, Essence, Thompson Reuters, Sesame Workshop, Crispin Porter & Bogusky, Huge, Rocket Fuel Inc. and Rosetta.
- Media Networking Night: CCE’s annual Media Networking Night, held in March, is an opportunity to connect with more than 100 alumni and professionals in several media fields.
- Leadership Development Programs: CCE continues to build a list of organizations that offer Leadership Development programs, who train new hires through rotational programs (i.e. rotating through different parts of a company) or specific, structured training programs. Some companies that offer Leadership Development programs in marketing/media include 3M, DuPont, National Football League, NBC and Fox.
- Vault & Wetfeet Guides: CCE subscribes to Vault and WetFeet, which offer profiles of industries, companies, and careers. Take a look at Wetfeet’s Guide to Careers in Advertising and PR and the Vault Guide to Advertising and PR and Career Guide to Journalism and Information Media.
- CCE Sponsored Internships: Explore CCE's sponsored programs, where past participants have interned in communications/media roles at Astonish Media, Carnegie Hall, The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center, the Harlem Film Center, the Jordan Tourism Board, HWH PR, and Uprise.
- Advertising, Marketing and PR Industry Showcase: CCE hosts a panel and networking session for organizations with opportunities in advertising, marketing, and public relations. This event, held in the spring semester, sheds light on the differences between these three industries, and allows you to network with professionals from several organizations. Past employers have included AOL, Burson-Marsteller, Finn Partners, National Basketball Association and Time Inc.
- Nicole Bode, CC ‘01. Sr. Editor at DNAinfo.com
- Cecilia Thomas, GS ‘05. VP, Head of Marketing and Communications at Benchmark Solutions Inc.
- Kristin Lorieo, CC ‘02. Sr. Editorial Coordinator at Bingham McCutchen
- Jacques Pepin, GS ‘70, GSAS ‘72. President at Jacques Pepin Inc.
- Karen Lee, SEAS ‘99. Director at ESPN
- Columbia Journalism School- View publicly-available career resources on the career services website, or attend events and lectures sponsored by the school.
- Student Media- Join student media groups such as the Columbia Daily Spectator, The Ferris Reel Film Society, The Blue and White, WKCR, Columbia University Film Productions, Columbia Advertising & Marketing Society, Columbia University National Undergraduate Film Festival and Columbia University Television to build experience.