The Startup Internship Program (SIP) is designed to meet the demand of students who are excited, engaged and curious to know more about the startup community and thinking about pursuing a career in the startup space.
Throughout the SIP program, interns take part in educational programming to help explore possibilities in the startup industry. We partner on this program with Columbia Organization of Rising Entrepreneurs (CORE).
The SIP program is a combination of internship experience at a startup, peer connections with other SIP interns, and professional career development with direct support from a career counselor. The program features the following:
- Pre-program training that includes program overview, professional skills workshops, panel discussion from startup professionals
- Twelve-week internship for 10-20 hours per week during the spring semester
- Networking with other interns to discuss and debrief on internship experiences
- One-on-one career counseling appointments throughout the twelve weeks to support and enhance the internship experience
- End-of-program reﬂection session where students meet to acknowledge achievements made through the program
- Gain a richer understanding of the startup industry in New York City and have had substantial professional experience working at forward thinking and entrepreneurial institutions
- Learn about a wide variety of career possibilities and have opportunities to network with start-up professionals and other SIP interns
- Gain a more in-depth understanding of and appreciation for the many facets of a startup organization
- Be able to articulate your experience and reﬂect upon your internship experience appropriately to highlight key transferable skills
You must be a full-time currently enrolled student in both the fall and spring semesters in Columbia College, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, School of General Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences or School of the Arts.
You must be able to commit 10-20 hours per week for the entire 12 week internship.
You are only eligible to be part of the SIP program one time during your time at Columbia University.
- International students need to apply for Pre-Completion OPT (Optional Practical Training) or F-1 CPT (Curricular Practical Training) as these are off-campus internship experiences. Visit the Columbia International Students & Scholars Office employment section to learn more.
*By submitting an application, you authorize the Center for Career Education to conduct academic and disciplinary checks to conﬁrm program eligibility. Certain University policy violations may disqualify you from consideration for the program.
Application Process & Timeline
SIP internships will be posted in LionSHARE. Under the jobs tab using the label function, search “SIP-Startup Internship Program” to locate all program opportunities. You may apply to up to three (3) positions of interest.
The following documents must be submitted through LionSHARE for each position of interest:
Cover Letter (if required by employer)
Transcript (can be unoﬃcial): This is your current semester course schedule which you should access by logging onto Student Services Online, clicking on “My Schedule” and copying and pasting your course schedule into a Microsoft Word Document. The schedule should show your full name, your school, your Fall 2018 Courses, and your enrollment status.
End of October — Submit applications by end of October via LionSHARE
November — Employers will select candidates to interview either in person, phone or video
Early December — Oﬀers are made to candidates
Mid-January — Internship Pre-Program Training
End of January- Mid-April — Internship
Mid-April — Reﬂection Session
Am I eligible to apply if I am studying abroad?
Yes, if you are studying abroad during the fall semester, we encourage you to apply. You will be ineligible if you are studying abroad during the spring semester as you will not be able to fulfill the requirement of working 10-20 hours per week at the organization.
Are the internships paid?
You will receive a $600 stipend for their internship work (provided by the employer and the center).
Can I apply for more than one internship?
Yes, you may apply for up to three internships oﬀered through the SIP. Submit all applications through LionSHARE.