The Science, Technology, Engineering Program (STEP) provides a unique opportunity to develop key professional and practical skills while also participating in an internship within the STEM ﬁeld.
If you have secured a summer internship within STEM, you can apply to STEP which will give you access to an alumni mentor, provide professional development training and ongoing support, and connect you with a cohort of STEM professionals.
After securing your own experiential summer opportunity within a STEM ﬁeld, you can apply to join STEP to participate in the following program features:
- Pre-Program Training, including internship guidance, goal-setting, and more
- Networking with fellow STEP students and alumni
- Ongoing career support throughout the summer experience
- Alumni Mentor to provide personal and professional guidance throughout the summer
- Reﬂection Exercise to further support career exploration
- Reﬂection Session to enhance skills and conﬁdence when leveraging summer experience in career exploration and job/internship search moving forward
Upon completion of STEP, you will have:
- Developed a goal-setting framework
- Tools to identify and pursue future career goals
- A more robust professional network of alumni and peers within the STEM ﬁelds
You’re eligible to join STEP if you are a student at Columbia College, Columbia Engineering, General Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, or the School of the Arts and you have secured and accepted an internship within a STEM ﬁeld for the summer.
You must be a full-time currently enrolled student in Columbia College, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, School of General Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences or School of the Arts.
*By submitting an application, you authorize the Center for Career Education to conduct academic and disciplinary checks to confirm program eligibility. Certain University policy violations may disqualify you from consideration for the program.
Once you secure a STEM internship for the summer, you are eligible to apply for STEP through the online application form.
Please note it is required that all applicants secure an internship within a STEM ﬁeld before applying to STEP.
Important Information for Student Planning Overseas Opportunities
In accordance with the Undergraduate International Travel Policy all students traveling overseas through a Columbia led, Columbia facilitated and/or recognized program must submit a school sponsorship application 4-weeks prior to departure. Please note that you should begin your school sponsorship application once your international experience has been conﬁrmed but no later than April 11th.
If you do not submit a School Sponsorship application and complete all subsequent pre-departure requirements, you may face disciplinary action.
Once you have received conﬁrmation of your school sponsorship, log in to the Undergraduate Travel Web App to complete:
- Online Pre-Departure Orientation
- Sign the Assumption of Risk, Waiver, and Release Form
If you have not completed all pre-departure requirements 2 weeks prior to your departure date, the Undergraduate Travel Review Committee (UTRC) will report an allegation of noncompliance to Student Conduct and Community Standards. Student Conduct and Community Standards determines how to respond to the allegation based on whether the student has a related, prior disciplinary record. For more details visit the Undergraduate International Travel Policy website.
Additionally, all students must:
- Register your travel (including side trips) through International SOS
- Conﬁrm that, while abroad, you will be covered by a health insurance policy that also provides coverage outside the United States for routine, urgent and emergency care.