The Science, Technology, Engineering Program (STEP) provides a unique opportunity to develop key professional and practical skills while also participating in an internship within the STEM ﬁeld.
If you have secured a summer internship within STEM, you can apply to STEP which will give you access to an alumni mentor, provide professional development training and ongoing support, and connect you with a cohort of STEM professionals.
After securing your own experiential summer opportunity within a STEM ﬁeld, you can apply to join STEP to participate in the following program features:
- Pre-Program Training, including internship guidance, goal-setting, and more
- Networking with fellow STEP students and alumni
- Ongoing career support throughout the summer experience
- Alumni Mentor to provide personal and professional guidance throughout the summer
- Reﬂection Exercise to further support career exploration
- Reﬂection Session to enhance skills and conﬁdence when leveraging summer experience in career exploration and job/internship search moving forward
Upon completion of STEP, you will have:
- Developed a goal-setting framework
- Tools to identify and pursue future career goals
- A more robust professional network of alumni and peers within the STEM ﬁelds
You’re eligible to join STEP if you are a student at Columbia College, Columbia Engineering, General Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, or the School of the Arts and you have secured and accepted an internship within a STEM ﬁeld for the summer.
Important Information for Students Planning Overseas Opportunities
In accordance with the new Undergraduate International Travel Policy all students* traveling overseas through a Columbia led, Columbia facilitated and/or recognized program must submit a school sponsorship application 4-weeks prior to departure. Please note that you should begin your school sponsorship application once your international experience has been conﬁrmed but no later than April 12th.
Once you have received conﬁrmation of your school sponsorship, log in to the Undergraduate Travel Web App to complete:
- Online Pre-Departure Orientation
- Sign the Assumption of Risk, Waiver, and Release form
Additionally, all students must:
- Register your travel (including side trips) through International SOS
- Conﬁrm that, while abroad, you will be covered by a health insurance policy that also provides coverage outside the United States for routine, urgent and emergency care.
It is critical that you thoroughly familiarize yourself with the Undergraduate International Travel Policy and complete all steps outlined above. For related questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Graduate students participating in a Columbia led, Columbia facilitated and/or recognized program such as STEP are also required to complete a school sponsorship application. This policy does not replace any additional requirements from a student’s home school. Graduate students, including Columbia Engineering graduate students, are encouraged to check in with their home school prior to ﬁnalizing any travel arrangements.