The Columbia Arts Experience (CAE) internship program provides students with a New York-based spring internship in the arts, media, and entertainment industries. Throughout the CAE program, interns take part in educational programming designed to help students explore career possibilities in the arts industry.
Past CAE interns have interned in the following fields:
- Arts Administration
The CAE program offers internship experience at an arts organization, peer connections with other CAE interns, professional career development programming, and support from a career counselor. The CAE program, launched during the 2007-2008 academic year, is sponsored by CCE in partnership with the Arts Initiative.
Program features include:
- Pre-program training that includes a program overview, professional skills workshops, and panel discussion from arts professionals.
- Twelve-week internship for 10-20 hours per week during the spring semester.
- Mid-semester dinner with other interns to discuss and debrief on internship experiences.
- One-on-one career counseling appointments throughout the ten weeks to support and enhance the internship experience.
- End-of-program reflection session where you meet to unpack and reflect on internship experience and learn from your peers.
- Gain a richer understanding of the arts industry in New York City by working at some of the premier arts institutions of the world.
- Be exposed to a wide variety of career possibilities, opportunities to network with arts professionals and other CAE interns.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of and appreciation for the many facets of an arts organization.
- Be able to articulate your experience and reflect upon your internship experience appropriately to highlight key transferable skills.
- You must be a full-time currently enrolled student in both the fall and spring semesters in Columbia College, The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science, School of General Studies, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences or School of the Arts.
- You must be able to commit 10-20 hours per week for the entire 12 week internship.
- You are only eligible to be part of the CAE program once during your time at Columbia University.
- International students need to apply for Pre-Completion OPT (Optional Practical Training) or F-1 CPT (Curricular Practical Training) as these are off-campus internship experiences. Visit the Columbia International Students & Scholars Office employment section to learn more.
*By submitting an application, you authorize the Center for Career Education to conduct academic and disciplinary checks to confirm program eligibility. Certain University policy violations may disqualify you from consideration for the program.
Application Process & Timeline
CAE internships will be posted in LionSHARE. Under the jobs tab using the label function, search “CAE-Columbia Arts Experience” to locate all program opportunities. You may apply to up to three (3) positions of interest.
The following documents must be submitted through LionSHARE for each position of interest:
- Cover Letter (if required by employer)
- Transcript (can be unofficial): This is your current semester course schedule which you should access by logging onto Student Services Online, clicking on “My Schedule” and copying and pasting your course schedule into a Microsoft Word Document. The schedule should show your full name, school, Fall 2018 Courses, and enrollment status.
- End of October — Submit applications by end of October via LionSHARE
- November — Employers will select candidates to interview either in person, phone, or video
- Early December — Offers are made to candidates
- Mid-January — Internship Pre-Program Training
- End of January- Mid-April — Internship
- Mid-April — Reflection Session
Am I eligible to apply if I am studying abroad?
- Yes, if you are studying abroad during the fall semester, we encourage you to apply. You will be ineligible if you are studying abroad during the spring semester as you will not be able to fulfill the requirement of working 10-20 hours per week at the organization.
Are the internships paid?
- You receive a $600 stipend for your internship work (provided by the employer, the Center, and the Arts Initiative at Columbia University).
Can I apply for more than one internship?
- Yes, you may apply for up to three internships offered through the CAE program. Submit all applications through LionSHARE.