So you’re thinking about attending the Engineering Career Fair? Well, you’re in the right place.
Let’s start with a recap of the career fair on September 20th, 2019.
2,100+ Students, 115+ Companies, 6 Hours
On September 20th, over 2,100 students and 115+ companies came together in Lerner Auditorium and the Party Space for a 6-hour career fair. It was a chance for alumni and employer representatives from various sectors within the engineering space to connect in-person with Columbia applicants.
Why Should You go: The CCE Staff Overview
- Determine fit: Students and employers can learn about each other and determine if it’s a good fit. Employer reps get to know more about an applicant than what’s on their resume and can identify candidates who would excel at their organization.
- Gain insider insight: Unlike an application portal, meeting face-to-face allows students to gain insight into an organization’s staff, their culture, and how to set themselves apart.
- Transcend the website: It enables students to ask questions that they aren’t able to find the answer to via the company website.
But don’t just take our word for it.
Why should you go: The Student perspective
Check out how students described their career fair experience in their own words.
“I always look forward to speaking with the recruiters at a career fair because the way they interact with me reflects their company culture and whether they have an interest in hiring me. It is a mutual learning experience.”
We really couldn’t put it any better.
Even as a first-year, there’s always value to attending a career fair.
“It was a great first experience for me, and my favorite part was probably the good conversations I had with many of the employers. They were all willing to talk to me about their companies, despite being a freshman, and many even had positions possibly available for freshmen. They gave me a lot of advice about a multitude of things, like my resume, class schedule, and extracurriculars, that I will certainly take into consideration in the future.”
Finally, a career fair is a great opportunity to learn about new companies.
“My favorite part was getting to know companies I wouldn’t have [applied] to previously.”
Now that you understand the value of attending and have an idea of what to expect, let’s hear from employers about how to ace your career fair experience.
How you can ace the fair: Employer Tips
We hear this first one from almost every employer:
- Research companies ahead of time to determine if they will be a suitable fit and if that company has job opportunities that align with [your] field of study.
- CCE Pro Tip: Review the Employer List in LionSHARE that contains information on each company attending the career fair and what positions they’re hiring for.
- Dress to impress with business professional attire.
- CCE Pro Tip: If you need a suit, check out our Clothing Closet!
- Prepare your introduction to ensure you’re able to communicate your background and experience with confidence.
- Convey your passion by tying in your experience to something relevant that [the employer] does.
We’re Here to Help
If you’re looking for more tips about how to make the most of a career fair, check out these Career Fair FAQs.
Also, remember you can always stop by for Quick Questions, Monday through Friday from 1:00 — 4:00 p.m. during the academic year to speak with a career counselor for a 10-minute meeting.