Making the Most of Winter Break
December 10, 2012
Winter Break is finally here! We know that you worked hard this fall, so now it’s time for you to travel home, sleep in, or have some holiday fun with friends and family. It’s also a great time to make some moves on your internship or job search. Check out 3 things you can do to make the most of your winter break.
1. Update your resume & LinkedIn profile to reflect your most recent internship, volunteer, athletics, research or leadership experiences.
- See resume samples in the Career Planning Guide and get advice from the Resume and Cover Letter Writing webshop.
- Review the LinkedIn guide and webshop on how to write a “killer” profile - and help the right people and opportunities find their way to you
2. Ask for at least five referrals from your friends and family.
- Instead of recapping reality shows over holiday dinners, talk to friends and family about what you're hoping to do this summer or after graduation. You never know who they might know or how they might be able to help. Ask friends and family members to connect you with their contacts as holiday presents! This is a great opportunity to conduct informational interviews with them (see the Career Planning Guide and webshop).
3. Review LionSHARE and other Internship/Job resources and develop a target list of 20 opportunities/employers.
- Internships and jobs are posted daily on LionSHARE – set up a Job Search Agent to be notified of new opportunities.
- Learn about employer timelines and find opportunities through CCE’s Internship page, international opportunities page, industry specific resources, Vault and Wetfeet guides, Leadership Development and Rotational Programs and how to fund an unpaid internship and a host of webshops and webinars!
- If there is an organization near your home that would be a perfect site for a summer internship or full time job, check their career webpages and contact them to speak about possible options and to find out more about their application procedures.
CCE will reopen on Wednesday, January 2nd with available counseling appointments and Quick Questions (1-4pm). Schedule a phone, in-person or Skype appointment with a counselor by calling 212-854-5609.