The only Middle Eastern program site, CEO Amman offers Columbia students an unparalleled international experience. Participants will be exposed to the unique culture of one of the oldest cities in the world, while taking advantage of all of the amenities, entertainment, and professional opportunities of a 21st century metropolis. With the presence of the Columbia University Middle East Research Center, a hub for research and scholarship, students benefit from additional support within the university’s growing global network while living and working in Amman.
Top Ten Reasons to go to Amman through the CEO Program
- Stay connected to Columbia through Columbia University Middle East Research Center (CUMERC), located in the middle of King Hussein Park.
- Expand your network of start-ups and entrepreneurs in the city that has arisen to become the number one place in the Middle East and North Africa in number of tech deals funded.
- Check out a music concert at the outdoor Roman Theater, built in the 2nd century, the most impressive remnant of Roman Philadelphia.
- A 30-minute ride will take you to the Dead Sea, one of the most spectacular natural and spiritual landscapes in the whole world – float on the lowest point on earth, and the world’s richest source of natural salts.
- Archaeology junkies—explore one of the oldest continuously occupied cities in the world, and check out the Jordan Archaeological Museum.
- With nineteen hills spanning the city, you are guaranteed an (unintentionally) intensive leg work-out during the summer.
- Prepare for your career in international relations by brushing up on your skills in one of the UN’s six official languages—Arabic.
- Have you tried mansaf, the national dish of Jordan? Immerse yourself in Jordanian cuisine that combines olive oil, spices, meat, and yogurt to create an explosion of distinctive taste.
- Shop for clothes, art, food, or other random wares at one of the city’s many markets, or ‘souks.
- Gain international work experience through wide-ranging internship opportunities.
Interested in learning about other Columbia University students' experiences during their CCE sponsored internships? Click here to read about internship experiences from all of CCE's internship programs!