Advertising and Marketing
- Account management jobs are primarily administrative, involve working directly with clients, developing strategy, and at higher levels involve managing people. Typical career paths inside the account management departments at ad agencies look like this: administrative assistant/account coordinator to account executive to account manager to account supervisor to management supervisor to vice president to director. Skill sets include strong social skills and management skills, organizational skills (multitasking is common) and an understanding of marketing.
- Account planners try to understand the consumer in order to offer better services to clients. They devise strategy for clients and conduct quantitative and qualitative research. Typical career paths are junior account planner to senior account planner to vice president to director. Account planners need to understand psychology and marketing and have strong interpersonal and analytical skills.
- The creative team turns a client’s strategy into a concept that can be made into a finished ad. People in these roles must have strong communication skills, lots of fresh ideas and ability to take criticism. A typical career path is junior copywriter to senior copyrighter or junior art director to senior art director to creative director.
- Media is in charge of putting ads where they will most effectively reach a target market. The team has two functions: planning and buying. A typical career path is media assistant, assistant media planner/buyer, senior media planner/buyer, media supervisor, vice president to director. Skills include analytical skills, being detail-oriented and understanding of marketing.
- LionSHARE: Large advertising/marketing firms that have recruited Columbia candidates through LionSHARE include Ogilvy, Digital, Publicis and Universal McCann. Smaller firms include Allied Integrated Marketing, Collective Media, and Endai Worldwide. Organizations that have recruited Columbia candidates to work on their in-house marketing/advertising teams include Penguin Publishing, L'Oreal, Fisher-Price and Samsung Electronics.
- CCE Sponsored Internships: CCE hosts several spring and summer internships in a variety of fields. Check out programs like Columbia Arts Experience, Columbia Communities in Action, Virtual Internship Program, Columbia College Alumni-Sponsored Internship Program, and the Columbia Experience Overseas for advertising and marketing internships with organizations like Carnegie Hall, The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Community Center, the Harlem Film Center and the Jordan Tourism Board.
- Leadership Development Programs: CCE continues to build a list of organizations that offer Leadership Development programs, who train new hires through rotational programs (i.e. rotating through different parts of a company) or specific, structured training programs. Companies that offer Marketing Leadership Development programs include 3M, DuPont and the National Football League.
- Advertising, Marketing and PR Industry Showcase: CCE hosts a panel and networking session for organizations with opportunities in advertising, marketing, and public relations. This event is held in the Spring semester and sheds light on the differences between these three industries, and allows you to network with professionals from several organizations. Past employers have included AOL, Burson-Marsteller, Finn Partners, National Basketball Association and Time Inc. Check our calendar for current information.
- Media Networking Night: CCE’s annual Media Networking Night (held in March) is an opportunity to connect with more than 100 alumni and professionals in several media fields, including advertising and marketing. Check our calendar for current information.
- Fall Career Fair: The Fall Career Fair, held in September, includes 100+ organizations from many industries including marketing, advertising, media, finance, consulting, consumer packaged goods and more and is open to undergraduate and graduate students and alumni. Marketing and advertising employers that have attended previous fairs include Huge, Rocket Fuel Inc. and Rosetta.
- Spring Career Fair: The Spring Career Fair, held in March, includes 100+ organizations from many industries including marketing, advertising, media, finance, consulting, consumer packaged goods and more and is open to undergraduate and graduate students and alumni. Marketing and advertising employers that have attended previous fairs include Havas Worldwide and Blue Bite LLC.
- Vault and WetFeet Guides: CCE subscribes to career-focused web services such as Vault and WetFeet, which offer profiles of industries, companies, and careers- such as the WetFeet guides to Careers in Marketing and Careers in Advertising and PR, and the Vault Guide to Advertising and PR.
- Alumni Profiles
- Columbia Advertising & Marketing Society: Student organization focused on the pre-professional development of its members in careers in marketing, public relations, and advertising.
- American Association of Advertising Agencies
- Ad Women of New York
- American Advertising Federation
- American Marketing Association
- Marketing Research Association